Thursday, September 26, 2013

The beauty in Burlap

 A few months ago I came across a piece of burlap that I had purchased some years ago. As soon as I saw it cake topper ideas came to mind. Such a beautiful texture and so inexpensive that the idea of possible uses is really endless. Immediately, I decided to stiffen the burlap with Elmer's glue in order to achieve a clean professional finish. I waited 24 hours to allow the piece to dry and started cutting away. My first design were cute little birdies all dressed up for their wedding day. Once these were cut I added skewers to allow these to serve as cake toppers. Skewers were attached to the piece using the best tool in a crafter's toll box ( glue gun.)
  After the success of this first piece I envisioned the many possibilities of the material. There is a certain elegance to burlap. It is the type of material that can go from a simple family get together to an elaborate wedding.

Love Birds at heart Cake topper

Love at sea cake toppers

Anchor cake topper

Wedding Petal cones

Burlap party favor bags

Seahorse inspired favor bags


Silhouette bridal shower cake topper

Doves cake toppers

Purr cake topper
 I hope this post inspires you all to head out to your local fabric store in search of burlap. You can create a superb look for your next event with very little money by incorporating burlap in small or more elaborate ways. Baby showers inspired by the nautical theme can use burlap to make cake toppers, favor bags, cup cake decor, table decor and so much more. You can even add burlap to make invitations and fans by simply attaching wooden handle sticks. As always, remember that the best events are those you share with close friends and family members.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment